SOAL PRESENT PARTICIPLE 1

1
1. You are expected (know) the safety regulations of the college.
2. He decided (disguise) himself by ( dress) as a woman.
3. I am prepared ( wait) here all night if necessary.
4. Would you mind (show) me how ( work) the lift?
5. After (walk) for three hours we stopped to let the others ( catch up) with us.
6. I am beginning (understand) what you mean.
7. He was fined for (exceed) the speed limit.
8. The boys like (play) games but hate (do) lessons.
9. I regret (inform) you that your application has been refused.
10. I couldn't help (overhear) what you said.
11. Mrs. Jones: I don't allow (smoke) in my drawing – room. Mrs Smith: I don't allow my family
(smoke) at all.
12.He surprised us all by (go) away without (say) 'Good-bye".
13.Please go on (write); I don't mind (wait).
14.He wore dark glasses (avoid) (be) recognized.
15.Before (give) evidence you must swear (speak) the truth.
16.I tried (persuade) him (agree) with your proposal.
17.Your windows need (clean); would you like me (do) them for you?
18.Would you mind (shut) the window? I hate (sit) in a draught.
19.I can't help (sneeze); I caught a cold yesterday from (sit) in a draught.
20.Do stop (talk);I am trying (finish) a letter.
21.His doctor advised him (give up) (smoke).
22.My watch keeps (stop). That's because you keep (forget) (wind) it.
23.Without (realize) it, he hindered us instead of (help) us.
24.People used (make) fire by (rub) two sticks together.
2
1. He hates (answer) the phone, and very often just lets it (ring).
2. If you go on (let) your dog (chase) cars he'll end by (be) run over.
3. I prefer (drive) to (be driven).
4. I advise you (start) (look) for a flat at once.
5. Would you mind (lend) me ten pence?I went (make) a phone call.
6. (Lie) on this beach is much more pleasant than (sit) in the office.
7. She likes her children (go) to a dentist every six months.
8. By (neglect) (take) ordinary precautions he endangered the life of his crew.
9. An instructor is coming (show) us how (use) the aqualung.
10. I have no intention of (go) to that film; I couldn't bear (see) my favourite actress in such a
dreadful part.
11. I suggest (telephone) the hospitals before (ask) the police (look) for him.
12. After (hear) the conditions I decided (not enter) for the competition.
13. Some people seem (have) a passion for (write) to the newspapers.
14. He expects me (answer) by return but I have no intention of (reply) at all.
15. I tried (pacify) him but he refused (be pacified) and went on (grumble).
16. By (offer) enormous wages he is persuading men (leave) their present jobs and (work) for
him.
17. He postponed (make) a decision till it was too late (do ) anything.
18. Imagine (have) (get up) at five a.m. every day!
19. try (forget) it; isn't worth (worry) about.
20. There is no point in (remain) in a dangerous place if you can't do anything (help) the
people who have (stay) there.
21. The horse won't be well enough (run) in tomorrow's race. He doesn't seem (have
recovered) from his long journey.
22. At first I enjoyed (listen) to him but after a while I got tired of (hear) the same story again
and again.
23. It is usually easier (learn) a subject by (read) books than by (listen) to lectures.
24. It wouldn't be safe (start) down now; we'll have (wait) till the mist clears.
25. After (discuss) the matter for an hour the committee adjourned without (have reached) any
decision.
26. It's not much use (have) a bicycle if you don't know how (ride) it.
27. He didn't dare (leave) the house because he was afraid of (meet) someone who might
(recognize) him.
28. I distinctly remember (pay) him. I gave him Ł2.
29. Did you remember (give) him the key of the safe?
No, I didn't . I'll go and do it now.
30.Please forgive me for (interrupt) you but would you mind (repeat) that last sentence?
31.I know my hair wants (cut) but I never have time (go) to the hairdresser's.
32.He made a lot of money by (buy) tickets in advance and (sell) them.
3
1. When the painter felt the ladder (begin) (slip) he grabbed the gutter (save) himself from (fall).
2. The snow kept (fall) and the workmen grew tired off (try) (keep) the roads clear.
3. He offered (lend) me the money. I didn't like (take) it but I had no alternative.
4. What was in the letter? I don't know. I didn't like (open) it as it wasn't addressed to me.
5. Do you remember (hear) the bombs (drop)? No, in the last war I was too young (realize) what
was happening.
6. Did you remember (book) seats for the theatre tomorrow? Yes, I have the tickets here. Would
you like (keep) them? I am inclined (lose) theatre tickets.
7. Try (avoid) (be) late. He hates (be) kept (wait).
8. I didn't know how (get) to your house so I stopped (ask) the way.
9. I wish my refrigerator would stop (make) that horrible noise. You can't hear anyone (speak).
10. This book tells you how (win) at games without actually (cheat).
11. The enemy began (fire). He felt bullets (strike) the wall behind him.
12. You don`t need (ask) his permission every time you want (leave) the room.
13. The police accused him of (set) fire to the building but he denied (have been) in the area on
the night of the fire.
14. I left my door open. Why didn't you walk in? I didn't like (go) in when you weren't there.
15. It's much better (go) to a hairdresser than (try) (save) time by (cut) your own hair.
16. I'd rather (earn) my living by (scrub) floors than (make) money by (blackmail) people.
17. Did you remember (lock) the door? No I didn't. I'd better (go) back and (do) it now.
18. You still have a lot (learn) if you'll forgive my (say) so.
19. It's no use (try) (interrupt) him. You'll have (wait) till he stops (talk).
20. I'm for (do) nothing till the police arrive. They don't like you (move) anything when a crime
has been committed.
21. He didn't like (leave) the children alone in the house but he had no alternative as he had (go)
out to work.
22. Why didn't you drink it? I didn't like (drink) it as I didn't know what it was.
23. I'm very sorry for (be) late. It was good of you (wait) for me.
24. I keep (try) (make) mayonnaise but I never succeed. Try (add) the yolk of a hard-boiled egg.
25. Do you feel like (go) to a film or would you rather (stay) at home?
26. She told me (look) through her correspondence and (take) out any letters that you had written
her. I didn't like (look) trough someone else's letters but I had (do) as she said.
27. He took to (get up) early and (walk) noisily about the house.
28. I liked (listen) to folk music much better than (listen) to pop.
29. The car began (make) an extraordinary noise so I stopped (see) what it was.
30. You'll never regret (do) a kind action.
31. He decided (put) broken glass on top of his wall (prevent) boys (climb) over it.
32. He annoyed me very much by (take) the piece of cake that I was keeping (eat) after my
supper.
33. He kept (ring) up and (ask) for an explanation and she didn't know what (do) about him.
34. We got tired of (wait) for the weather (clear) and finally decided (set) out in the rain.
35. He made me (repeat) his instructions (make) sure that I understood what I was (do) after he
had gone.
36. I suggest (leave) the car here and (send) a breakdown van (tow) it to the garage.
37. She apologized for (borrow) my sewing-machine without (ask) permission and promised
never (do) it again.
38. I didn't mean (offend) anyone but somehow I succeeded in (annoy) them all.
39. She claimed (be able) (tell) the future by (gaze) into her crystal ball.
40. He never thinks of (get) out of your way; he expects you (walk) round him.



--
Shigenoi Haruki

Comments

Popular Posts